Chasing Cheerios

Monday, May 13, 2013

Painting Frescos

After studying Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel in our homeschool group, we decided that a fresco painting art project was the perfect activity!

To do this project, you need tempera paint, plaster of paris, styrofoam trays (the plaster pops out very easily), paintbrushes, and creative kid artists!


I mixed the plaster of paris...2 parts plaster to one part water.  These trays held 2 cups of plaster mixed with 1 cup of water.  Because the plaster of paris was quick setting, I had to work fast so the first tray didn't set before I had them all made!  I set up the trays, paints, and brushes up on plastic tablecloths in order to make clean-up a little easier.  The kids painted on the plaster while it was still wet, but firm.

All of the kids seemed to really enjoy this activity!  It was simple and fun, and I love all of their creative frescos!
This is my girls' art displayed at home. Displaying the frescos in plate stands seems like the best way to do it,  but I haven't figured out where to put them so they won't get knocked over.  I'm sure they'll shatter if they fall.


I love O(6)'s fish and E(3)'s abstract masterpiece!

4 comments:

  1. Both are great! the abstract is very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and just a wonderful idea for a lesson,but I was wondering a couple of things,does this project ruin the brushes or can they be salvaged? About how much time would you say you have to work on them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea and the colors look so vivid, wonder if it comes off easily just in case it gets misplaced on my floor...

    ReplyDelete